POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Assistance with projection simulation required. : Assistance with projection simulation required. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Assistance with projection simulation required.
From: Paul Bourke
Date: 29 Jun 2008 09:00:01
Message: <web.48678631845cb4247e3508d40@news.povray.org>
Greetings all ... I was wondering to what extent PovRay could assist with the
simulation of projection designs for immersive environments I work on. By this
I generally mean domes with one or more projectors, the delivery of digital
content requires image warping .... all of which I am familiar with in a
mathematical sense but I need a "nice" way of presenting the concepts to
"clients". As an example, imagine a dome with 5 projectors creating an
overlapping video image around the rim. See
     http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/tmp/sim/
I can convey how the images appear (see the model.zip file), but it breaks down
if I want to look at things from the outside of the dome. It also fails if I
introduce a mirror in front of the projectors (a fairly common thing in the
projection community). ps: in case it isn't obvious, the frustums around the
light source in the model act as the data projector beams, the light source is
at the apex of the frustum.

So my question is: Is there a way to use photons (albeit probably expensive) to
form the projection of images onto the dome?

If you think it is but it will take you time to demonstrate it then please feel
free to quote for the work required. Probably better to do so offline, email:
pau### [at] gmailcom